AAUW Public Policy
AAUW’s policy work connects and rallies advocates at the local, state, national, and global levels to empower women and girls. We use lobbying and grassroots efforts to push forward policies that break through educational and economic barriers for women. AAUW’s Public Policy Priorities, adopted every two years by member vote, establish the federal action issues on which AAUW members across the country focus advocacy efforts.
Naperville Area Policy Priorities
Guided by AAUW’s Public Policy Priorities and branch member input, AAUW Naperville Area prioritizes issues to focus our advocacy efforts at local, state and national levels. Our Issues Action Team (I-ACT) leads our efforts to advance policies that break through educational, societal and economic barriers for women and girls.
Our 2021-2022 priorities for action:
1. Education funding. Adequate and equitable funding for quality public education with an emphasis on STEM, sex education and the arts.
2. Pay equity. Pay equity and fairness in compensation and benefits including Family Paid Leave, EEOC action, Work Smart promotion, pensions, child care availability and affordability, and social security.
3. Healthcare access. Access for all women to the full range of healthcare services, including reproductive health decisions, to ensure economic security.
4. Freedom from violence. Freedom from violence and fear of violence including domestic violence, gun laws, transgender women and women of color.
5. Voting. Voting rights and access.
Become a Two-Minute Activist
Take action on issues impacting women and girls by joining AAUW’s Action Network. As a Two-Minute Activist, you will receive urgent email notices when your advocacy is needed most. AAUW provides all the tools you need to call or send messages to your members of Congress, write letters to the editor for your local newspapers, contact your state legislators about pressing issues, and more.
Sign up: https://www.aauw.org/what-we-do/public-policy/two-minute-activist/