While domestic violence affects all populations, the transgender community find themselves at especially high risk. 31%-50% of transgender people have experienced domestic violence, v.s. 28% to 33& of the general population
According to the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs,
- 72% of reported hate murders against LGBT people and people living with HIV in 2013 were committed against transgender women, with
- 67% of these murders against transgender women of color.
Unfortunately abuse of transgender people can start at a young age.
Action Steps You Can Take
- Get involved with the Human Rights Campaign https://www.hrc.org/get-involved
- Join Lambda Legal to help make the case for equality https://www.lambdalegal.org/take-action
- Check out AAUW’s stance on sexual violence and learn more about Title IX https://www.aauw.org/resources/legal/laf/title-ix/ and https://www.aauw.org/resources/policy/position-school-harassment/
- Sign up to be a Two Minute Activist with AAUW and easily and quickly take action on pending legislation affecting women and families https://www.aauw.org/act/two-minute-activist/